This plaque appears at the entrance to Bishop Ahern National school.
The foundation stone of Bishop Ahern National School was laid in 1986 and the school was officially opened in 1988 with 96 pupils on the roll book. Named in honour of past pupil John Ahern, Bishop of the Diocese of Cloyne from 1956-1986, the school is situated above the location of the prefabs.
Bishop Ahern National School was extended in 2010 with the addition of a fifth classroom and a P.E. hall. Three years later, in 2013, two resource rooms were added.
THE HISTORY OF OUR SCHOOL
Leamlara Old School Hall
The original school in Leamlara, now known as Leamlara Hall, was built in 1847. After a span of 120 years, it closed its doors as a school in 1967. Adjacent to the old school is the residence known as “The Teacher’s house”. This was built in 1905 for the principal teacher of the time and subsequent principals, until the building was privately purchased in the 1970’s.
At a time when small schools were being amalgamated, local people fought hard to keep the identity of Leamlara alive by keeping the school open in the area. The site of the “new school”, a prefab, was where the basketball court now stands. Erected in 1967, it had indoor toilets and two classrooms. It was, at the time, a state of the art building.
Leamlara N.S. became a three teacher school in 1984 when a second-hand single-room prefab was purchased. Due to both prefabs always being regarded as temporary measures, parents and members of the local community fought long and hard to get a permanent building sanctioned.
Bishop Ahern National School
During 1986 and 1987 while the building of Bishop Ahern National School was in progress, pupils and teachers moved to the old school hall and the gallery of the church. The school was officially opened in 1988 by Bishop John Ahern and Bishop John Magee, with 96 pupils on the roll books.
Named in honour of past pupil John Ahern, Bishop of the Diocese of Cloyne from 1956 – 1986, the school is situated above the location if the prefabs.
The school was extended in 2010 with the addition of a fifth classroom and a P.E. hall. Three years later, in 2013, two resource rooms were added.
In January 2015 a school secretary was employed. At present, school academic year 2019/2020, we have 178 pupils on our roll book. There are 16 members of staff, seven mainstream class teachers, four learning support/resource teachers and four special needs assistants.
School motto: “Mol an Óige”