Here at Bishop Ahern N.S., we ensure that all children receive an hour of Physical Education a week as set out by the NCCA P.E. Curriculum (1999). We are lucky to experience a wide variety of strands every year (at least 5) and our teaching is guided by the 7 key messages of the P.E. Curriculum. The 6 strands we cover are: Aquatics, Games, Outdoor and Adventure, Gymnastics, Dance and Athletics.
These 7 messages are as follows:
- The importance of enjoyment and play
- Maximum participation by all children
- Development of skills and understanding
- Balance between competitive and non-competitive activities
- Balance between contact and non-contact activities
- Providing opportunities for achievement for every child
- Providing activities equally suitable for boys and girls
We are lucky to have a lot of equipment available to us, which the Senior Classes and the Active School Flag committee regularly re-organise and monitor. This year, we have labelled everything in the PE room to make sure everything is nice and tidy!
This year, as part of our work for the Active School Flag, we are focusing on the strand of Games. Please see some pictures of our classes enjoying their PE classes with their teachers below! We used the PSSI lesson plans as well as our new PDST Move Well Move Often resources to have lots of fun this year!